Pistol Purchase Applications
Pursuant to Nebraska Statute 69-2403 a handgun certificate is required to purchase, lease, rent, or receive a handgun. The law applies to both retail and private party transactions. The law also prohibits selling, leasing, renting, or transferring a handgun to a person who does not possess a handgun certificate. A certificate is not required if:
• The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer;
• The handgun is an antique;
• The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;
• The transfer is temporary and the transferee remains within (a) in the line of sight of the transferor or (b) within the premises of an established shooting facility; or
• The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent.
Link to report a private or dealer gun sale: http://cjis.lincoln.ne.gov/~lpd/gunreg/
WHERE AND HOW TO APPLY
Applicants who live outside the McCook city limits may apply in person at the Sheriff’s Office, 516 Norris Avenue, McCook, NE, Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. If you are a McCook resident you may apply at either the McCook Police Department or the Red Willow County Sheriff’s Office.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION
• Current Nebraska operator’s license, Nebraska state ID card, or a Military ID card. The address on your Nebraska ID must be current and match the address on the application. If your only form of ID is a Military ID card, you must also provide proof of Red Willow County residency (i.e. utility bill, vehicle registration, pay stub, etc.)
• Application fee of $5.00.
• Applicants born outside the U.S. must also provide a copy of their citizenship papers, U.S. Passport, birth certificate, or alien resident card.
AGE AND RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS
To obtain a handgun certificate from our office you must be at least 21 years old and a current Red Willow County Resident.
Applications will be denied if the applicant:
• fails to answer all questions on the application;
• is under indictment or information (i.e. charges have been filed in court) for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
• has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
• is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
• has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
• is an alien unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa;
• has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
• having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
• is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner;
• has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
Certificates are valid, statewide, for three years at which time applicants must apply for a new certificate.